Today is Friday December 19, 2014
The City of Grosse Pointe Woods was originally incorporated in 1927 and was known as the Village of Lochmoor. In 1939, the Village of Lochmoor became the Village of Grosse Pointe Woods and on December 11, 1950, was incorporated as the City of Grosse Pointe Woods, a Home Rule City. The city covers an area of 3.28 square miles.
The city operates under a Council-Manager form of government established by the City Charter, adopted by voters in 1950. This efficient format divides government into policy-making and administrative functions and has an organizational structure similar to a business.
The residents of the city are the highest government authority. They delegate this authority to representatives they elect every four years. Similar to a Board of Directors of a corporation, the City Council composed of the mayor and six council members, is responsible for determining policies and adopting ordinances needed to maintain the health, safety and welfare of the citizens.
Input provided by various advisory boards and commissions is a valuable resource. Citizens show interest in the community not only by voting, but also by taking an active part in the policy-making process. There are 15 boards or commissions established to address. Some function in an advisory capacity, making recommendations to the City Council; others review problems and petitions from residents and offer recommendations based upon local regulations and ordinances.
Mayor Robert E. Novitke is particularly proud of commission and board members who serve the city on numerous occasions. These dedicated citizens have been honored for their allegiance and inestimable contributions to maintaining one of the finest communities in the nation.